I just want to throw those little bite sized donuts in my mouth right now
Makes 18 Donuts
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/2cup milk
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 quart oil for deep frying
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar for dusting
- Stir the vinegar into the milk, and let stand for a few minutes until thick.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the shortening and sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg and vanilla until well blended. Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt; stir into the sugar mixture alternating with the vinegar and milk. Roll dough out on a floured surface to 1/3 inch thickness. Cut into doughnuts using a donut cutter. Let stand for about 10 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a large deep skillet to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Fry doughnuts in the hot oil until golden, turning over once. Drain on paper towels. Dust with confectioners' sugar while they are still warm, and serve immediately.
- I took a cooking class in high school and to my knowledge we used a recipe very similar to this one. They tasted sooo fine! Too bad I'm on a diet :(