Monday, September 13, 2010

DONUTS EVERYWHERE!


  •  I just want to throw those little bite sized donuts in my mouth right now

     Makes 18 Donuts

Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoons white vinegar
  • 1/2cup milk
  • 2 tablespoons shortening
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 quart oil for deep frying
  • 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar for dusting

Directions

  1. Stir the vinegar into the milk, and let stand for a few minutes until thick.
  2. In a medium bowl, cream together the shortening and sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg and vanilla until well blended. Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt; stir into the sugar mixture alternating with the vinegar and milk. Roll dough out on a floured surface to 1/3 inch thickness. Cut into doughnuts using a donut cutter. Let stand for about 10 minutes.
  3. Heat the oil in a large deep skillet to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Fry doughnuts in the hot oil until golden, turning over once. Drain on paper towels. Dust with confectioners' sugar while they are still warm, and serve immediately. 

  • I took a cooking class in high school and to my knowledge we used a recipe very similar to this one. They tasted sooo fine! Too bad I'm on a diet :(

47 comments:

  1. Looks delicious. I may make some now considering I have everything I need..

    Any tips on how to make them best?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving your blog so far. I wish I could cook, those sure look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds pretty simple, might give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. god this is making me so hungry! i miss carbs :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never knew that doughnuts had vinegar in them. Huh? learn something new every day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man that's making me so hungry right now

    ReplyDelete
  7. She's built like a steakhouse, but she handles like a bistro!

    ReplyDelete
  8. God damn, I love donuts, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. nice read... can't wait to see more

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll take the sugared one :D nice guide <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds great, want to try making. Gotta make some time. I can taste them in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  12. yummy! i can hear myself getting fatter just by reading it! lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. i actually i didnt knew how these were done.

    also, i loled at the tags.

    ReplyDelete
  14. hey man, hope your day was better than mine with one of my dogs dying.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad to see you're beating inertia today.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cool Blog! Like to make a request for "corn dogs" I tried making some the other day and just cant get the batter right.

    ReplyDelete
  17. fascinating, the surgeon is inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for the kind comments on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. mhm looks really great, will try to cook it soemtime!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Showin support for an awesome post :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mmmmh... donuts... *drools like homer*

    ReplyDelete